Sunday, June 03, 2007

MUSICAL MONDAY


RECORD BREAKING MUSIC TRIVIA




The song with the longest title is 'I'm a Cranky Old Yank in a Clanky Old Tank on the Streets of Yokohama with my Honolulu Mama Doin' Those Beat-o, Beat-o Flat-On-My-Seat-o, Hirohito Blues' written by Hoagy Carmichael in 1943. He later claimed the song title ended with "Yank" and the rest was a joke.

Michael Jackson won the most grammy's ever with a total of eight.

The longest piano piece of any kind is 'Vexations' by Erik Satie. It consists of a 180-note composition which, on the composer's orders, must be repeated 840 times so that the whole performance is 18 hours 40 minutes. Its first reported public performance in September 1963, in the Pocket Theater, New York City, required a relay team of 10 pianists. The New York Times critic fell asleep at 4 a.m. and the audience dwindled to 6 masochists. At the conclusion, one sado-masochist shouted 'Encore!'

Everyone knows that the Buggles 'Video Killed the Radio Star' was the first video to premiere on MTV on August 1, 1981. The millionth video to air on MTV was 'Video Killed the Radio Star', aired on MTV February 27, 2000. It's also the 3rd most aired video in MTV history. Peter Gabriel's 'Sledgehammer' is #1.

The longest rendering of a national anthem was 'God Save the King,' performed by a German military band on the platform of Rathenau railway station in Brandenburg, on February 9, 1909. King Edward VII was struggling inside the train to get into his German Field-Marshall uniform, so the band had to play the anthem 17 consecutive times.

'Billie Jean' by Michael Jackson was the first video to air on MTV by a black artist. Initially, the channel did not want to air any music by black artists.

3-Day advance purchase tickets for the first Woodstock (1969), were $18.00. The price at the gate, $24.

Jim Morrison (of the 60's rock group The Doors) was the first rock star to be arrested on stage.

In 1976 Sarah Caldwell became the first woman to conduct the Metropolitan Opera in New York City.
Do you have any other record breaking music trivia?

9 comments:

jillie said...

I was first on my own blog today...LMAO...

Those are great and I love that song "Video Killed The Radio Star"...In fact, I'm singing it to myself as I type.

If I were in that concert that was over 18 hours, and that person that yelled encore was in front of me, I would have SHOT him and then kicked him! WTF???

If I think of anything that I was ever first at I will be sure to hurry my arse on over here ;o)

Andy Looney said...

I loved Hoagy on Laramie.

I even went out and bought a buckboard and drove it through puddles.

josh williams said...

I once farted 420 times on a flight across the atantic, east to west. It is not in the record books, but I swear I did. Never drink beer the night prior to a flight, then eat a McDonalds big breakfast for breakfast and then Mexican food for lunch, board the plane and sit for 8 hours thinking dang, this is amazing, glad my sense of smell is not the sharp...Kinda based on a true story.

Big Pissy said...

I never knew that MTV didn't plan on showing videos by Black artists.

That's whack!

SIMON said...

Well jillie I love the idea of shooting him first and then kicking him. You make me laugh!

Andy good old hoagy got everywhere didn't he?

But was it musical Josh otherwise it doesn't count.

Yeah big pissy it's hard to imagine isn't it and it's not that long ago is it? Thanks for coming over.

Tina said...

Hey EB!!! I enjoyed reading this post...interesting info. I haven't been posting or commenting lately because we have moved and didn't have a phone line. Got one now, so I am back! I missed all you guys! Tina

~d said...

(JWW said 420!)
HAHAHA!

Musical trivia: John Lennon's first girlfriend was named Thelma Pickles.

~d said...

HI JILLIE!

SIMON said...

Tina lovely to see you back round again. I've missed you.

Nice to see you ~d, I think I found that out at The Beatles Story, but thank you anyway.